• New proposal to provide 422,000 dwellings
• 22% of single homes on traditional sections to be rezoned for intensification
• Remove density controls in residential zones
• Ensure sufficient capacity for the next seven years
• Enable the growth and development of new or existing rural towns and villages
• Delete a pre-1944 building demolition control overlay and protect heritage places and special character areas
• Remove or reduce requirements for on-site parking
Auckland’s urban boundary will be expanded to free up 30% more land for houses and residential development, with many homeowners facing rezoning to their properties.
Of the 422,000 proposed dwellings for Auckland, 270,000 will be within the existing urban boundary and a whopping 152,000 will be in rural areas and around towns like Warkworth, Kumeu and Pukekohe.